Your Location

Old Moat Hall is located on Chelford Road, Chelford, WA16 8ST just next to the Egerton Arms.

Chelford nestles in the Cheshire countryside around 3.5miles from both Knutsford and Alderley Edge,.

Chelford’s history is mentioned in the Doomsday Book as Celeford. At that time it was a very small village of only 80 acres.

The first chapel, probably a building of 'wattle and daub' construction was built in 1280. The present Georgian Church was consecrated in 1776 with the tower and spire added later in 1840.

The Chelford Corner Shoppe opened as a shop in 1705 and developed into a Post Office around 1854. This makes it one of the oldest post offices in the North West still on its original site.

The school has been educating the children of Chelford for more than 200 years being endowed in 1754. The school moved to its present site in 1999.

The railway arrived in 1846. As a result the centre of the village was effectively moved half a mile to the west close to the station. Chelford is renowned nationally for its cattle market which has traded for over 90 years even surviving the last foot and mouth outbreak in 2004

Chelford is a thriving community of approx. 1800 residents situated in rural East Cheshire surrounded by beautiful countryside but close to Alderley Edge, Macclesfield, Wilmslow and Knutsford. The nearest M6 South access is at junction 18 near Holmes Chapel and the M6 North access is junction 19 at Knutsford. Manchester Airport is approximately 10 miles away.

There is a train station in the village on the Manchester to Crewe train line with hourly connections either way.